TMJ / Bruxism Therapy & Splints
Stop grinding teeth at night!
TMJ disorders (also called TMD disorders) cause tenderness and pain in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) — the joint on each side of your head in front of your ears, where your lower jawbone meets your skull. This joint allows you to talk, chew and yawn.
TMJ disorders are caused by many different types of problems: arthritis, jaw injury, or muscle fatigue from clenching or grinding your teeth during sleep or while awake. Teeth grinding is also referred to as Bruxism in the dental field.
What are the symptoms of TMJ Disorder?
- Pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
- Limited ability to open the mouth very wide
- Jaws that get “stuck” or “locked” in the open or closed mouth position
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when opening or closing the mouth
- Difficulty chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite
- Swelling on the side of the face
There are several options for treating TMJ/TMD disorder, with surgery being the last resort option. We offer custom-fit night guards – or splints – that can help you stop grinding your teeth at night. We will create a night guard oral appliance specifically for you, so that it will fit comfortably and not prevent you from sleeping. By managing your Bruxism, we can lessen the symptoms of TMJ.
If you would like to learn more about our custom-fit night guards, call us today to set an appointment.
VIDEO: Top 5 Things To Know About TMJ Disorders
Smile with and Live Your Best Life
Is your smile camera ready? Healthy, beautiful smiles are our passion.
Visit us today for Family, Cosmetic or Implant Dentistry.